The statistics per country

This forum is dedicated to the <a href="http://www.sudocue.net/clueless.php">Clueless Specials</a> published each Monday on the website.
Shoebear
Rookie
Rookie

The statistics per country

Post by Shoebear »

Congratulations on your new idea, Ruud.
I like it very much - the more so since I'm a stats nut.
Interesting for example to see that the Dutch players have such a high average score. Shows that they consistently do the puzzles, get them right and very often manage to do them within the first 24 hours.
I then "played" with the statistics by taking out the top scorer of the three top countries.
The revised scores would be:
Netherlands (without Cowgirl Gemma): 23.3
USA (without Pete): 8.5
Germany (without Peter Herrigel): 6.5
This increases my first impression that the Dutch players have more persons doing them more consistently.
Come on all those other other "teams" - let's see if we can catch up with those flying Dutchmen.
:lol:
I'm not addicted to Sudoku.
I cope very well without Sudoku - between midnight and 6 in the morning.
cowgirl
Addict
Addict

Re: The statistics per country

Post by cowgirl »

Shoebear wrote: This increases my first impression that the Dutch players have more persons doing them more consistently.
Come on all those other other "teams" - let's see if we can catch up with those flying Dutchmen. :lol:
Hoi,

You can try it, :D .

Ruud have make us sudoku grazy, and he gif us the variaties, Clueless, Explosion and the Samurai.
and now , whe are total living to / on this 3 days.
I try ofcourse, sometimes i wil be late, because of my work.

But, i (and other dutch people) make the clueless and the explosion from the start, and there are more people coming on the top very soon, ofcourse the last week in the list wil be removed.

I hope that Ruud keep going this greate way, i like it.

(I hope you can understand / read this, my englisch is zo bad )

from the Netherlands, greatings
Groetjes van cowgirl Gemma
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

Well, now I can't stay behind. :lol:
I believe Gemma and I where the first ever who made a clueless.
When I think about then, hahahaha Only solving on paper and later in Excell and days of work. We never used a solver (something that not everyone can say :twisted: ) The clueless helper is not as long as this puzzles on line. From the beginning we believed in Ruud and his good work.
I always read the topics on this forum but most of the time i cannot understand the precise meaning of it, it's a pity I hope someone can make a translator in English to Dutch but that is an other topic haha

Also from the Netherlands gre@tings,
Marlie
Shoebear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shoebear »

Hoi back to you two hollandse meisjes, :wink:

I'm certainly going to try and beat you and the others in the "nation's score".
I know it will a hard job, especially seeing you two have been there from the beginning and have solved them very consistently.
But I'll try - and if I lose - well is there anything nicer and more fun for the Dutch than beating the Germans? :) :roll:

Groetjes vanuit Krefeld an julle twee en an Ruud

Yuri
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

Shoebear wrote:Hoi back to you two hollandse meisjes, :wink:

But I'll try - and if I lose - well is there anything nicer and more fun for the Dutch than beating the Germans? :) :roll:

Groetjes vanuit Krefeld an julle twee en an Ruud

Yuri
Hahaha LOL, we will see who has to beat who!!! :twisted:
Sarah
Regular
Regular

Post by Sarah »

Marlie-

Have you tried Babelfish?

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

It seems not too bad Eng-Dutch; but doesn't always work the other way.

goed geluk
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

Is my Enlish so bad? :oops:
Shoebear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shoebear »

Hallo Marlie,

Certainly not, in my opinion. It certainly is a lot better than my Dutch. :)
I understand you perfectly well and - as long as that is the case - any grammar mistakes, etc. that may happen do not matter.

So stop blushing!!

And by the way - I'm going to have to admit defeat in the "Nations Competion". :( Other nations may have one or two top people (such as the USA or Germany) but no-one can beat you Dutch as far as the depth of good performance is concerned.

As we say in Afrikaans (and funnily enough also in "Krefelder Platt")

Goed gaan!!!

Yuri
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

Thanx :D
Sarah
Regular
Regular

Post by Sarah »

Marlie-

I didn't mean to imply your English is bad. On the contrary.

However...
You wrote:
"it's a pity I hope someone can make a translator in English to Dutch but that is an other topic haha "

which I perhaps I misunderstood.
I took it to mean you wanted something occasionally to translate phrases others may use in English to Dutch.

So please, enlighten me on what I mistook.
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

Ow yes i forgot that i wrote that somewere.
I can tell you that the babelfish translations are very bad and most of the time it sounds terrible. Maybe a Milky way language?
hahaha no i am joking, thanx for the link, you wanted to help and that's what counts. :flower:
Susan
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by Susan »

Wouldn't it be a good idea if the country stats were sorted by average number of points rather than by total?

:roll:

Susan
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pete »

I think the number of submissions / country is better.

There are some people from several countrys who have subbitted only once.
The average would be unfair to regular players.

Then there are people who have submitted wrong answers... these are also in the average.
"It gets dark at night" - Olbers
Shoebear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shoebear »

I tend to agree with Susan that sorting by an average score per country would be better (though I can see and understand her pernicious :wink: motives for wanting to do so).

The basic question is that of quantity vs. quality.

IMHO 20 persons with a score of 50 each is better than 60 persons with a score of 20 each, although the second do have a total of 1200 points (vs. 1000 points). It proves that they are consistently solving the puzzles correctly.

Besides which, countries with a large population would then have an unfair advantage. A look at 4 countries listed in the stats: USA approx. 300 mill., Germany 80 mill., Netherlands 16 mill, and Sweden 9 mill.
Statistically, the chances of many people randomly just doing one or two puzzles and then "dropping out" are much higher, the higher your population is. Which would be great for the total of the respective country, but says litlle to nothing about their real interest, abilities and consistency.

So for me, it's quality all the way, and that means that I'm in favour of the score per country (although Germany also has participants, for example, who regularly submit the Clueless Specials after 24 h, thus only earning 1 point and pulling our average down).
Brian
Regular
Regular

Post by Brian »

Well I must say that I agree completely with Susan and Shoebear. Whenever I look at the statistics I first check my position and then usually look at how the different countries are doing. The average score is the only important number when comparing results. This discussion started out with a challenge to the rest of us to try to catch up with the ”Flying Dutchmen”. Sequencing the results by average score would make it much easier to see how the different ”teams” are doing.

Pete made a good point when he wrote that some countries’ scores are pulled down by people who only submit once, or who submit wrong answers. The average score of a country with many players, like the USA, is much less affected by people like this. Just think of what will happen to Sweden’s average if one more player starts submitting entries. :pale: It will take us months to get our average up again. Still, that is all part of the fun – like playing Snakes and Ladders.

Groetjes uit Stockholm,

Brian.