Not a nightmare, but still a treat

This forum is dedicated to the <a href="http://www.sudocue.net/clueless.php">Clueless Specials</a> published each Monday on the website.
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Not a nightmare, but still a treat

Post by Ruud »

The real addict has already found it, but those who get their nightmare by other means than the www.sudocue.net website, there is a special treat on the site.

I call it a clueless sudoku, because the central sudoku has no clues at all. You need to solve the 9 other sudokus to find enough clues to solve the centerpiece. Be warned that this special can be difficult at times.

And maybe not for the true nightmare player. :wink:

Anyway, feedback is appreciated.

Ruud.
“If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.” - Emerson M Pugh
keith
Hooked
Hooked

Rules for the clueless

Post by keith »

Ruud,

I think this is a very clever idea!

I am saving this puzzle for a time next month when I will be on an airplane for a number of hours.

However, I have observed that the first (top left) puzzle, by itself, has multiple solutions. So, I assume the situation is this:

Apply the usual techniques to each of the nine puzzles to complete values in some squares. Then, use clues in completed squares in the blank boxes (the imbedded puzzle) to make further progress. Go back and forth between the individual puzzles and the imbedded puzzle to eventually find a single, unique solution for the whole thing.

Clueless in Detroit,
Keith
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Keith wrote:Apply the usual techniques to each of the nine puzzles to complete values in some squares. Then, use clues in completed squares in the blank boxes (the imbedded puzzle) to make further progress. Go back and forth between the individual puzzles and the imbedded puzzle to eventually find a single, unique solution for the whole thing.
That's the idea.

So far, I've had only a single player telling me he actually solved this puzzle. I don't know if the rest is still struggling or has given up. :twisted:

Ruud.
“If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.” - Emerson M Pugh
keith
Hooked
Hooked

A fine port

Post by keith »

Ruud,

I have not given up but I think this one, like a fine bottle of Port, will take time, and is best consumed in small doses.

I believe the first puzzle (top left) leads to the conclusion its R5C5 is <6>.

Keith
lac
Hooked
Hooked

back from business trip, look what I found

Post by lac »

I solved it, but it took a long time. Good for a change but not as much fun as a nightmare. I especially liked the symmettry. There is, however a problem in that one error can propegate widely. I misread my own writing, and took a 2 for a 3,with sad results, and had to start over once. Possibly making a list of 18 cells or so that you can, should you wish, look up the answers for to check that things are proceeding well would be useful? I am not sure about that, just speculating out loud ....

thanks very much Ruud. How long did this take you to make?

Laura
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

lac wrote:How long did this take you to make?
It took me about an hour to create the puzzle, another hour to make the image.

You're the 3rd person reporting it solved. So far, one player has claimed solving it in 6 hours. An interesting thought, that I can create them faster than you can solve them...

There is a request pending by my Dutch audience to make a Gattai-20. It will soon see the light of day. It may even topple this one in difficulty.

Ruud.
opdecoder
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by opdecoder »

Sick, Sick, Sick!

That's me I'm refering too. I was browsing around for SuDoku stuff and found this site. Wasn't too long before I found clueless.

I HAD to solve it.

killed 5 hours before realizing I'ld made a mistake somewhere & had to start again.

2nd pass took about 5 hours, but it's solved!

Bravo to the creator of this puzzle.