Where's Ruud?

Comments about the remaining aspects of the <A href="/">SudoCue.Net</A> website
cowgirl
Addict
Addict

Post by cowgirl »

Marlie wrote:Where are we moving to? I missed this discussion. I can't play assasins never made one. But no one is to old to learn!

Thanx all for thinking of me last week.
Marlie,

you must come very soon, to help me, because my englisch 8-)
Groetjes van cowgirl Gemma
jsmif
Regular
Regular

Post by jsmif »

Agreed. No one is too busy to show up at their own website once in three months for a proper goodbye. This move is not temporary. See y'all at Richard's.
mhparker
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Post by mhparker »

jsmif wrote:No one is too busy to show up at their own website once in three months for a proper goodbye.
I agree completely.

The annoying thing is that Ruud has obviously set the "Enable account activation" forum administration option to "Admin", meaning that user accounts are initially created as inactive. This requires that the administator goes into the User Management Panel and activates the user account before the user can log on. A trivial step, but a critical one, if the administrator never shows up! This account activation option was clearly set in order to stop spam bots from creating accounts and using them for advertising (or other) purposes. This may have been a great idea at the time, but now we are trapped by it, in that it effectively prevents new users from joining the forum.

Incidentally, either of the other two account activation settings would have allowed new users to join without Ruud's intervention. These are "None" (no activation necessary, as on Richard's site at the moment) and "User" (user is sent an e-mail with an activation link that must be clicked to activate the account).

Also, no-one can tell me that Ruud is too busy to simply log on one time, appoint an administrator, give us a quick farewell announcement, and promise to keep the site paid for as long as the donations allow.

That's all for now. I'm back off to Richard's...
Cheers,
Mike
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

I agree complete with MhParker.
I know Ruud is not ill or anything else. But I know he has a new hobby/game on the internet. :whistle: If he had shared this with us maybe we had fun with it too =;

So i am very dissapointed Ruud.
I never aspected this from you.:thumbdown:
Goodbye Ruud

Cowgirl ik zit nu ook op het nieuwe forum van Richard.
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

jsmif wrote:Agreed. No one is too busy to show up at their own website once in three months for a proper goodbye.
I guess I'm not so quick to abandon Sudocue, although I've added Richard's forums to my usual "haunts".

I, too, run a Web site (a school alumni site) and forums. I'm ashamed to admit I haven't been around there in several months, either, mainly due to discouragement with the seeming lack of interest and feedback on the site and the forums. I've been wondering whether all the time and effort I put into it are worth it.

It's quite possible that Ruud feels the same way about this site, especially with what was maybe a long drought of donations, his only tangible feedback of people's interest in this site.

Ruud has been extremely generous with his puzzles and his software, to me in particular, asking for nothing in return but donations (Clueless Helper being a exception). I do hope he comes back, and if he does, I'll be here, or at least at the main site if these forums die away to nothing.
Børge
Master
Master

Post by Børge »

Marlie wrote:But I know he has a new hobby/game on the internet
PLEASE post a URL!!
zoltag
Expert
Expert

Post by zoltag »

enxio27 wrote:
jsmif wrote:Agreed. No one is too busy to show up at their own website once in three months for a proper goodbye.
I guess I'm not so quick to abandon Sudocue, although I've added Richard's forums to my usual "haunts".

I, too, run a Web site (a school alumni site) and forums. I'm ashamed to admit I haven't been around there in several months, either, mainly due to discouragement with the seeming lack of interest and feedback on the site and the forums. I've been wondering whether all the time and effort I put into it are worth it.

It's quite possible that Ruud feels the same way about this site, especially with what was maybe a long drought of donations, his only tangible feedback of people's interest in this site.

Ruud has been extremely generous with his puzzles and his software, to me in particular, asking for nothing in return but donations (Clueless Helper being a exception). I do hope he comes back, and if he does, I'll be here, or at least at the main site if these forums die away to nothing.
Ruud has given me far more than I have given him.

TY enxio27 for saying what I am thinking.
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

Børge wrote:
Marlie wrote:But I know he has a new hobby/game on the internet
PLEASE post a URL!!
If I knew any URL i would tell you but i only can tell what his wife told me.

Of course Ruud did more for us as we did for him, but knowing that he is often on his pc and not answers his mails or looks here makes me very dissapointed.
Børge
Master
Master

Post by Børge »

zoltag wrote:Ruud has given me far more than I have given him.
And I definitely must say the same, and I like to think that most members here see it the same way.
If I would say anything else, it would for me personally be an outright lie. However, in my humble opinion the current problems are:

1) The uncertain future of SudoCue.net and its content.

2) New members cannot join the forum. And the destiny of a sealed forum like this one, where the wells of more and more puzzle types dry up completely, does in my humble opinion not look good.

Børge
Børge
Master
Master

Post by Børge »

[url=http://www.sudocue.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=965][b]HERE on SudoCue.net[/b][/url] udosuk wrote:I feel bad nobody has bothered to try it in Richard's forum. :ncool:
No feedback is NOT the same as that nobody has tries it!
enxio27 wrote:I, too, run a Web site (a school alumni site) and forums. I'm ashamed to admit I haven't been around there in several months, either, mainly due to discouragement with the seeming lack of interest and feedback on the site and the forums. I've been wondering whether all the time and effort I put into it are worth it.
I understand you both very well. When you take the time and effort to make something for others, part of the fun is getting feedback, even if it is negative. When you count how many puzzles Ruud has presented here and how little feedback he has gotten, it could be the real reason for not bothering anymore and not other reasons including a drought of donations. For instance, nobody including myself bothered to thank him when the 100th Clueless Special was posted.
nj3h
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nj3h »

I recall I put out a message when the 1 year mark was hit for the samurai puzzles. I guess Ruud just got burned out with the whole thing.

I do miss emailing him and seeing his posts on here.

I just hope he is well and getting on ok with whatever endeavor he is now occupied with.

I also hope he will stop by sometime and at least say hello. It still seems like a friend who has died and departed. To me, that is a very unsettling and sad feeling.
udosuk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by udosuk »

Børge wrote:
[url=http://www.sudocue.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=965][b]HERE on SudoCue.net[/b][/url] udosuk wrote:I feel bad nobody has bothered to try it in Richard's forum. :ncool:
No feedback is NOT the same as that nobody has tries it!
Points taken. :rabbit: At least I got some feedback now (both there and here), which is nice! :colors:

About your speculation on Ruud's reasons to leave, I think you guys were doing a nice enough job here on giving feedback to his puzzles (considering how many there are), so as nj3h says he's probably just burnt out with the whole thing (I also has similar experiences). As for not dropping by to say hello, I also understand that the longer time it has passes the more awkward for one to come "back in touch". So I suggest to just be nice to him and don't make too big a deal out of this. Let's show some love & warmth rather than cold comments! :sunny:
azpaull
Regular
Regular

Post by azpaull »

I can honestly agree with all (or, almost all) of the recent comments. It does feel like a loss, it is more awkward to come back as time flows towards the sea, I would like to know what his new endeavor is, and we should be positive in our farewell-for-nows.