SudoCue Users Forum Index SudoCue Users
A forum for users of the SudoCue programs and the services of SudoCue.Net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Locked Candidates (type 2) question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SudoCue Users Forum Index -> Solving Guide & Glossary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gilbert
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Locked Candidates (type 2) question Reply with quote

Dear Sudocue fans,

Under "Sudoku Solving Guide", there is an example for "Locked Candidates (type 2)". Could someone please explain why box 5 can't have 7 in Column 4 or Column 6 (highlighted in red). With all the given digits shown, I somehow failed to understand this topic.

Thank you in advance

Gilbert
David Bryant
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: "Locked candidates (type 2)" Reply with quote

Hi, Gilbert! I'll try to explain it for you.

In the example column 5 has four cells filled in, and five empty cells (r2c5, r4c5, r5c5, r6c5, and r8c5). There's a "7" at r2c3, and another "7" at r8c9.

-- Clearly the "7" in column 5 cannot appear at r2c5, because of the "7" at r2c3.

-- Similarly, the "7" in column 5 cannot appear at r8c5, because of the "7" at r8c9.

-- Therefore the "7" in column 5 must appear at r4c5, r5c5, or r6c5. In other words, the "7" in column 5 has to lie in box 5.

-- But saying that the "7" in column 5 lies in box 5 means the same thing as saying that the "7" in box 5 lies in column 5. And since the "7" in box 5 has to be in column 5, it can't possibly be in column 4 or in column 6.

I hope that clears it up for you. dcb
Gilbert
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey David, I finally got it, many thanks! I think I am getting hooked with Soducue now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SudoCue Users Forum Index -> Solving Guide & Glossary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: