SudoCue Users Forum Index SudoCue Users
A forum for users of the SudoCue programs and the services of SudoCue.Net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sumocue hints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SudoCue Users Forum Index -> Help Me! I'm stuck!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Sumocue hints Reply with quote

Please explain "Elimination in inner-outie differences in Box..."
I don't understand/can't work this out. I'm doing the latest Assassin Killer and looking at Box 2
Thanks
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

here (I think) is the situation where you will first encounter an innie-outie difference in nonet 2:

The 2 green cells are the outies.
The red cell is the innie.

The sum of the 3 cages covering nonet 2 is 43, so the 2 green cells together must be 2 less than the single innie.

The minimum value for the 2 outies is 3 (1+2), so the innie must be at least 5. You can eliminate digits 1 through 4 in the innie.

The maximum value for the innie is 9, so the 2 outies together can be a maximum of 7. This means that neither of them can be higher than 6. You can eliminate candidates 7 through 9 from these 2 cells.

Hope this helps you understand the technique.

Ruud
Nick
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Sumocue hints Reply with quote

Ruud - thanks for reply to my question on innie-outie differences on the latest Assassin Killer
I'm still trying to get my head round this and seem to have a mental blockage! Could you run through Nonet 3 and Nonet 7 innie-outie difference for me as well? With a couple more examples it may well click for me - I seem to react intuitivelyto these kind of problems if I have more examples
Many thanks
Nick
emm
Hooked
Hooked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick

Here’s how I look at it.

Total for N3 = 45 = 27 + 18 - outies + innies.

=> 45 = 45 - r4c8 + r13c7 (in this case the 1 outie = the 2 innies)

From this you can make eliminations :
The min possible for any two cells (the innies) is 3 => the min for the outie also = 3

=> r4c8 <> 1 or 2 and you can eliminate them as candidates

Conversely, the max possible for any one cell (the outie) is 9 so you know that the max possible for the 2 innies is also 9.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total for N7 = 45 = 22 + 24 - r6c1 (outie) + r7c23 (innies)

=> 45 = 46 - r6c1 + r7c23

=> r6c1 = 1 + r7c23 ( in this case the outie = the 2 innies +1)

The max for the outie = 9 => max for the innies = 8

=> r7c23 <> 8 or 9 and you can eliminate them as candidates

The min for the innies = 3 => min for the outie = 4

=> r6c1 <> 1 or 2 or 3 and you can eliminate them as candidates
Nick
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Sumocue hints Reply with quote

Ruud
Many thanks for your help - I think I am beginning to get the hang of it now. I love killers, having polished off the Times Killer Sudoku book, and finishing the Sudokulist Extreme Killer each week in fairly quick time. Strange how one gets a mental blockage sometimes!
Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SudoCue Users Forum Index -> Help Me! I'm stuck! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: