SudoCue Users Forum Index SudoCue Users
A forum for users of the SudoCue programs and the services of SudoCue.Net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone know the name of this solving technique?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SudoCue Users Forum Index -> Solving Techniques & Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatcatz
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Anyone know the name of this solving technique? Reply with quote

A while ago I found a solving technique while searching for various solving techniques online but forgot the name. Basically if a cell has only 2 candidates and selecting each candidate in turn results in a candidate on another cell to be always the only candidate then that cell must contain that candidate.

This technique is similar to Nishio but it is not Nishio. Is this a valid solving technique or should be considered a brute force method?
Glyn
Major Major Major
Major Major Major

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fatcatz

I would consider the most common name for this technique would be "Forcing Chain", it can also be extended to "Forcing Net". Some of these methods have more exotic names when the underlying logic is more immediately obvious.

Personally I don't class them as T&E, but other people may disagree, and even my opinion would depend to some extent as to how far down the line the forced cell actually pops out of the process.

Try out this link from the Players Forum which covers it in more depth. Rolling Eyes

Forcing Chains and Nets

All the best

Glyn
fatcatz
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glyn, thanks for the info.

Gavin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SudoCue Users Forum Index -> Solving Techniques & Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: