I'm working on a Clueless Jigsaw!

Interesting puzzles can be posted here
Princess Amy
Hooked
Hooked

I'm working on a Clueless Jigsaw!

Post by Princess Amy »

This one, I'm pretty sure I can complete the construction myself. It might take a while since I have school, so the spreadsheet is available if anyone would like to try working on it sooner, too.

What do you think?

Amy Grace :princess:

Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

You beat me to the punch on this one, Amy.

I was just figuring out how to rewrite my Clueless maker software to include Jigsaw patterns.

As soon as I have a result, you will see the it on the Special page. :D

Ruud
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

heej Amy that is looking good :D
Princess Amy
Hooked
Hooked

Post by Princess Amy »

I've created the "solution." Now I'm adding a few clues and working backwards.

Do you know how many clues it takes, minimum, to solve a regular one? I don't want it too easy, but I don't want it too hard either, since there isn't a solver for it.

I will e-mail the Excel spreadsheet to anyone who can finish this project off quicker than I can...

The "Clueless" Princess loves getting Flowers every Monday!
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

It looks pretty at any rate, like a patchwork quilt pattern. Maybe I'll actually try a jigsaw one of these days, although I probably won't start with a clueless one.
enxio27
Master
Master

Re: I'm working on a Clueless Jigsaw!

Post by enxio27 »

Princess Amy wrote: Image
How do you get your Excel spreadsheet turned into an image like this?
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

It seems that she copied it to paint and then saved it as JPEG, i would do it that way, but i am curious of Lynn's answer too.
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

Marlie wrote:It seems that she copied it to paint and then saved it as JPEG, i would do it that way, but i am curious of Lynn's answer too.
I don't even see a way to copy it to Paint. The only way I can figure to do it is to print out the spreadsheet and then scan it.

I just created an Excel workbook of blank specialty Sudoku (Samurai, Shogun, etc.), but I want to turn them into images or, better yet, .PDFs. My scanner software can scan to .PDF, so maybe that's the way to go.

(Let's see what AltaVista does with this one:)

Ik zie zelfs geen manier om het aan Verf te kopiëren. De enige manier ik kan zien doen het is spreadsheet uit te printen en dan het af te tasten.

Ik creëerde enkel een werkboek van Excel van lege specialiteit Sudoku (Samurai, Sjogoen, enz.), maar ik wil hen in beelden veranderen of, beter nog. PDFs. Mijn scannersoftware kan aan. PDF aftasten, zo misschien die de beste manier om het te doen.
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

I don't know anything about PDF but to paste in paint you must select your excell and copie with right mouse button,open paint en paste it there, then save as jpeg.
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

Marlie wrote:I don't know anything about PDF but to paste in paint you must select your excell and copie with right mouse button,open paint en paste it there, then save as jpeg.
Wow! Cool! I just tried that! I didn't know you could do that! (I don't use Paint very much at all.) Mine doesn't seem to have the option to save as .JPG, though--only .BMP.
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

Did it work or not ?
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

Marlie wrote:Did it work or not ?
It worked to save it to .BMP, and then I can use another program to change it to .JPG or .PNG. My version of Paint seems to be able to save only to .BMP. If Amy's can save to .JPG, then she must have a different version.

I'm thinking, though, that I want to make these into .PDFs instead, so I will probably print out the Excel worksheets and scan them to .PDF, unless someone knows of a way I can convert the Excel files directly into .PDF.
Last edited by enxio27 on Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Princess Amy
Hooked
Hooked

Post by Princess Amy »

I made the Excel spreadsheet, and I turned all the cells surrounding the puzzle white.

I hit the "Print Screen" Key on my keyboard.

I went to Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, they both work (Paint probably would too). I pasted it into a new document and cropped it nicely.

Saved as jpg.

Hope that helps!

The "Clueless" Princess loves getting Flowers every Monday!
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

Princess Amy wrote: I went to Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, they both work (Paint probably would too). I pasted it into a new document and cropped it nicely.
WOOHOO!!! Way too cool! I just did one better than that: I highlighted the spreadsheet cells I wanted, copied to the Windows clipboard (Control-C), then pasted (Control-V) into my favorite image software (PMView Pro), and voila'! No cropping needed! Amazing! And with PMView, I can save in just about any image format I want! (Not .PDF though.)
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pete »

Amy,
thats a very pretty jigsaw, its the first clueless jigsaw ive seen.

as for the nuber of clues, there are some jigsaws around that have only 8 clues. squiqqly is what some people call jigsaws here are several:

http://www.bumblebeagle.org/dusumoh/9x9/index.html

with all the puzzles interlocking and transfering candidates to all the others it is possible to construct one with less clues then this.

I doubt you can go with that few clues with that jigsaw pattern.

to construct a puzzle start with the full completed grids (all 10)

eliminate clues make sure you can work back to the complete grid with each of the 9 clued grids

then remove the clues from the overlaping clueless grid and see if its solveable.

Sounds simple doesn't it....
Last edited by Pete on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It gets dark at night" - Olbers