Confused about Classify function

Ask your support questions for SudoCue here
enxio27
Master
Master

Confused about Classify function

Post by enxio27 »

I ran the classify function on the .SDM files available from the Sudocue site. I'm curious as to why some of the puzzles were skipped. 7704 puzzles were skipped in the Top 50000 file.

Maybe this is related, but I get a "Too Difficult Sudoku" error when I open the Top 50000 file--not sure whether the error message is referring to puzzle #1 (with 24 clues) or puzzle #24. This is with ALL solving methods available except Table Conflict, Table Verity, and Brute Force.

Is there something I'm not understanding correctly about the Classify function?
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

The Top 50000 represents the hardest Sudokus in my collection at the time they were assembled. At that time, all of them required at least 2 or more Table Conflict or Table Verity steps. With the current version of SudoCue, 7704 of them still require these techniques.

For a correct classification, you need to enable all solving techniques. When you disable certain solving techniques, the program can still verify that a puzzle has a unique solution, but if it fails to solve the puzzle with the remaining techniques, it reports the puzzle to be too difficult. You can still solve it on your own, but the program cannot help you wth hints.

cheers,
Ruud
paulom
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Classify problem

Post by paulom »

I just started to use SudoCue, and when I ran the Classify command on learningcurve.sdm, got the following result:

Code: Select all

[SCLV120]
[D:\download\learningcurve.sdm]
000001=R=1;B=0;S=0;I=0
000002=R=1;B=0;S=0;I=0
000003=R=1;B=0;S=0;I=0
000004=R=1;B=0;S=0;I=0
000005=R=1;B=0;S=0;I=0
Yesterday I registered on the Forum to ask for help, but today, before I made my question, there was the answer:
For a correct classification, you need to enable all solving techniques.
I did that and it worked fine. The options for Solver where the default ones.
Maybe this information will help someone else.
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

Ruud wrote:For a correct classification, you need to enable all solving techniques.
AHHH. Somehow I missed that somewhere. That explains a lot. Would enabling Table Verity, Table Conflict, and Brute Force change the classification for (easier) puzzles that DON'T require these methods?
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

enxio27 wrote:Would enabling Table Verity, Table Conflict, and Brute Force change the classification for (easier) puzzles that DON'T require these methods?
No, unless you change the order of the solving techniques in such a way that these methods are tried before other techniques.

Ruud