Ruud's specialty puzzles

Interesting puzzles can be posted here
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pete »

yes Enxio,

sudoku.org.uk changed there forum to a different forum entirely.

Thanks for keeping up with it.

I found several of the clueless 4xx myself just now saw the clueless 10x

Ruuds monsters take a long time
I havent gotton all of them yet.

I guess ill modify my program to handle them,
perhaps its more important to save progress/candidates.

I have been doing them as multiple instances of samauri and/or clueless

the 2048x1536 kinda makes it cramped and im prone to entry errors.
you giving the strings for the ones without is wonderful,Thank you.

my new hp lj4 prints them ok , and it handles several erases of the penciil marks before you need new copies.
still find myself cutting an taping the things together to get a sheet big enough to be useable.

Now The Question

Is it more lazy to

(1) print them out on paper and tape em together

(2) feed em in to my program and work em out as multipul samurari or clueless.

(3) rewrite the program to handle the bigger puzzles
"It gets dark at night" - Olbers
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

Pete wrote: Now The Question

Is it more lazy to

(1) print them out on paper and tape em together

(2) feed em in to my program and work em out as multipul samurari or clueless.

(3) rewrite the program to handle the bigger puzzles
Personally, when I do a multi-grid puzzle, I print out each grid (however many there are) on a separate sheet of paper, as big as I can get it on an 8"x11" sheet of paper, using Sudocue. I don't tape them together; I just label each one so I know where it goes (I also print the image of the entire puzzle to refer to).

I just wish I had something to coordinate the pencil-marks in the overlapping cells. That gets tedious, and that's where I often make mistakes before I even start to solve the puzzle. I had been hoping to use Clueless Helper for that, but Ruud has never (to my knowledge) added printing capability to CH.
zoltag
Expert
Expert

Post by zoltag »

enxio27 wrote:
I just wish I had something to coordinate the pencil-marks in the overlapping cells. That gets tedious, and that's where I often make mistakes before I even start to solve the puzzle. I had been hoping to use Clueless Helper for that, but Ruud has never (to my knowledge) added printing capability to CH.
In clueless helper when looking at a single grid you can click on "edit" then "copy possibles". Paste this into SodukuCue and print from there!
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

zoltag wrote:In clueless helper when looking at a single grid you can click on "edit" then "copy possibles". Paste this into SodukuCue and print from there!
Well, that would be handy! Too bad my Clueless Helper trial has expired (even though I never really used it once I found out it wouldn't print), and it appears that, with Ruud's absence, now I can't even register it.
Last edited by enxio27 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Børge
Master
Master

Post by Børge »

Unfortunately it will still be a couple of months before I have a release version of TUSP finished, which should solve all your problems. I currently have support for all of Ruud’s puzzle, except MOAG, DOAG, "Christmas Three" and "New Year's Eve Fireworks". So if you want to solve a special puzzle I can load into TUSP, computer generate all initial Pencil Marks, stitch together a screen shot and place it here, where you can take a look at Ruud's Black Friday to see what the result will look like.
Hilsener i fra vikingen :viking: Børge
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

Børge wrote:you can take a look at Ruud's Black Friday to see what the result will look like.
Very nice job! I'm still slogging my way through a couple of Clueless Specials (4a and 4b) that I started months ago (my sudoku time often gets pre-empted by family commitments and other stuff). I haven't even attempted anything the size of a Taiken such as Black Friday.

I was really hoping to find a way to create the Sudocue progress files (.SDX) that have just the clues and the pencil marks (nothing solved) for these multi-grid puzzles, that I can import into Sudocue for printing (each grid on a separate sheet of paper).
Børge
Master
Master

Post by Børge »

enxio27 wrote:I was really hoping to find a way to create the Sudocue progress files (.SDX) that have just the clues and the pencil marks (nothing solved) for these multi-grid puzzles, that I can import into Sudocue for printing (each grid on a separate sheet of paper).
TUSP can export a grid in either .SDK (SadMan) or .SDX (SudoCue) format. I have done this for CS#4a and uploaded the result HERE. Hope this is what you are looking for.
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

Børge wrote:TUSP can export a grid in either .SDK (SadMan) or .SDX (SudoCue) format. I have done this for CS#4a and uploaded the result HERE. Hope this is what you are looking for.
Yes, perfect! Thanks!
Børge
Master
Master

Post by Børge »

If you have finished CS#4a before I have released TUSP ;)
I can make you .SDX files for another puzzle, or you can use Richard's SudokuSolver, which can print out each grid (including pencil marks) with a look very similar to SudoCue.
Or better: solve at the PC with SudokuSolver or JSudoku (or TUSP when released).