SudoCue release 1.4.0

Find the latest software releases on this site, with detailed info.
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

SudoCue release 1.4.0

Post by Ruud »

This release should have been named 2.0.0, because of all the major changes, seen and unseen. But then I would run out of version numbers too quickly.

The release notes will tell you all about these changes.

Please report any errors a.s.a.p. on the forum or to my email. I have tested the program against the complete benchmark list, but when there is anything wrong, please complain with me.

Enjoy!

Ruud
Last edited by Ruud on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nj3h
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nj3h »

Excellent revision to an already great program. A quantum leap ahead.

The Release Notes link in your message in this thread is broken.
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Thanks.

The link has been fixed.

Ruud
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

I updated the program. Version increased to 1.4.0.1, same install package name.

save fixed, can play invalid puzzles with helper only and rating added to status bar.

pfff busy day! #-o

Ruud
“If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.” - Emerson M Pugh
Cannelle
Rookie
Rookie

Issues, questions

Post by Cannelle »

A) Why is the Tools option only enabled after generating the first sudoku?

B) Why is the LOG tab in Tools gone?

C) Why is there a message ("This puzzle with nn placed clues cannot be solved completely. ... Choose Ok to play with the solver disabled") after each failure of a generation of a valid sudoku? This slows down the generation of valid Sudokus...
Any way to skip these messages (and if fact avoid the generatiion of invalid sudokus?)

D) When there is an invalid generation of a sudoku, clicking Ok or Cancel produces the same result: retry... And no way out!

E) I am trying to record valid sudokus in Excel (using VBA). I am able to generate sudokus, and get their solution and the steps. I am still missing the score. It is now displayed on the main Sudoku window; but since the value cannot be copied to the clipboard, I cannot store it (I would have to use some kind of OCR technique: not easy). Adding it to the log (at the top) would help.
Ex: "Random Setup Finished with 25 givens. Total score is 2314."
Is it possible to add this for the next release?

Thanks
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Many questions:
A) Why is the Tools option only enabled after generating the first sudoku?
The program now has a distinct separation between setup mode, where the solver and tools are not active, and the play mode. The solver validates the puzzle when you save the puzzle or switch to play mode without saving. The only menu option that should be available in setup mode is the options dialog. I will make that correction in the next release.
B) Why is the LOG tab in Tools gone?
The log, the solver, the rating system and the hint/step features need to be synchronized to avoid erratic behaviour. Disabling certain log entries could cause loss of solver data. You can now fully configure the solver, but whatever you enable will be logged, so that the helper can display all possible hints.
C) Why is there a message ("This puzzle with nn placed clues cannot be solved completely. ... Choose Ok to play with the solver disabled") after each failure of a generation of a valid sudoku? This slows down the generation of valid Sudokus...
Any way to skip these messages (and if fact avoid the generatiion of invalid sudokus?)

This is a known issue and will be fixed. These messages should be suppressed when generating a random puzzle.
D) When there is an invalid generation of a sudoku, clicking Ok or Cancel produces the same result: retry...
Same issue. Will also be fixed.
E) I am trying to record valid sudokus in Excel (using VBA). I am able to generate sudokus, and get their solution and the steps. I am still missing the score. It is now displayed on the main Sudoku window; but since the value cannot be copied to the clipboard, I cannot store it (I would have to use some kind of OCR technique: not easy). Adding it to the log (at the top) would help.
Ex: "Random Setup Finished with 25 givens. Total score is 2314."
Is it possible to add this for the next release?
Very good suggestion. I will do this.

Ruud