SudoCue Release 2.1.0 (beta)

Find the latest software releases on this site, with detailed info.
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

SudoCue Release 2.1.0 (beta)

Post by Ruud »

I spent quite some time on this new release. Both the Log and the Analyzer are integrated in the main window. Use F6 to show the extra information, use the buttons to choose the type of data you're interested in.

Due to the many changes, I'll keep this release in beta for a while.

Another nice new feature is the random vague hint. F7 is the hotkey. The vague hint will either reveal something about the type of move, or about the digit(s) or the house(s) or the cell(s). Press F7 multiple times if you want an alternative vague hint. F8 is still used for the spoiling hint.

The user guide will be updated as soon as this release is stabilized.

Enjoy,
Ruud
“If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.” - Emerson M Pugh
nj3h
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nj3h »

Hi Ruud,

I like the way the analyzer and the log have been integrated into the main window. Really professional.

I noticed that double clicking on a saved puzzle file will not open the program. Sometimes I get a message about some parameter, other times nothing. It could be my work computer, but I will check this at home this evening and see it this happens there.

I notice in some of the "X puzzle" messages in the forum, that the term "cross-over" is used. What technique does that correlate with in the list of solving techniques? What is the definition of this technique?

Regards,
George
nj3h
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nj3h »

Hi Ruud,

In the analyzer window, I think it would be nice to see the column headings for the data being presented.

Also, what is the difference between the data on the left and the data on the right in the analyzer window?

Could you list out here in your reply, what the column heading is for each data column?

I thought that the analyzer window also told what the scoring for each techniue is. For example, some puzzle I was looking at has a total score of 524, according to the window on the status line. But I couldn't tell the make-up of that score by looking at the analyzer window data.

Is there a way to copy the analyzer data to the clipboard?

Regards,
George
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Hi George,

I tested the double-click-open functionality. It works fine here. The registered extensions are .sdk, .sdx and .sdm. When you also have other Sudoku software that uses these extensions, there may be a conflict.

A single crossover is similar to triangulation in Hanidoku. When there are only 2 candidates for a digit on a diagonal, you can eliminate the other 2 candidates in the (imaginary) rectangle that has these 2 cells in opposite corners.

A double crossover occurs when both diagonals have 2 candidates left, and a pair of them share a row or a column. You can eliminate all candidates from the cells that can see both other candidates.

In SudoCue, crossovers are caught by simple coloring (color trap), double crossovers by multi-coloring (color wing).

There is not enough room for column headers in the analyzer lists. I will see if it is possible to use the tooltip similar to the status bar panels.

This is the info:

Left list: Technique summary.
- Technique name
- # times the technique is used
- # times the technique has been tried

Right list: Solving steps.
- Step #
- # unsolved cells before the step is executed
- # remaining candidates before the step is executed
- # points added to the score (sum of this column is the total score)
- Technique name

There is no possibility to copy this info to the clipboard. Sounds like a possible future addition.

Ruud
“If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.” - Emerson M Pugh
zoltag
Expert
Expert

Post by zoltag »

nj3h wrote:Hi Ruud,

I like the way the analyzer and the log have been integrated into the main window. Really professional.
I quite agree, vastly better than the old seperate windows.
:D
I would prefer that the used techniques would be default over tried.

I haven't figured out whether solver messages versus long descriptions changes anything.
nj3h
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nj3h »

Just curious, but the mouse wheel does not scroll the log window entries. I am using Win 98 at home. Perhaps this is just a windows idiosyncracy.
andrewd
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by andrewd »

Hi Ruud,

Greetings, best wishes and thanks from a new member making his first post. In trying out Sudocue release 2.1 I have come across the following print problem:

I am unable to print a puzzle WITH pencilmarks showing if I select the print option "current state with pencilmarks". The output shows the current state WITHOUT pencilmarks. This applies whether marks are turned on or off, within Sudocue. The option to print current state without pencilmarks does exactly what it says - it prints the current state WITHOUT pencilmarks.

FYI: I am running 2.1 under .NET 2.0. I tried to print out 2 puzzles; one originally pasted (successfully) in and another being the 3rd puzzle from your "Almost Daily Nightmare" collection.

I realise that this may be a little used feature, but thought that I ought to tell you about it.

Andrewd
nj3h
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nj3h »

I printed a Standard and a WinDoku variant puzzle, with pencil marks, with the new beta version with no problems. I don't know why you would have this problem, but Ruud will fugure it out, I am sure.
andrewd
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by andrewd »

Thanks to nj3h's post, I have realised that the problem lies at MY end. My HP 1215 Photosmart is now not so smart :!: When printing, if I select Properties, then the Advanced options and print in Greyscale, Black only...then I get the pencilmarks.

So in short, I have a printer problem :( - of which I was unaware. My apologies for wasting anybody's time :oops: .

Andrewd.