SCE #2. Now a real solveable Clueless Explosion.

This is not the right forum to discuss the Big Bang Theory,<br>but if you have any comments on last Saturday's <a href="http://www.sudocue.net/explosion.php">Clueless Explosion</a>, you can post them here.
FirstOfNine
Rookie
Rookie

Clueless Explosions

Post by FirstOfNine »

Hi all
I was just about to write
"a thursday without an explosion is not a thursday"
when I saw your thread.

So I'll add my twocents here.... maybe it's helpful in some way...

I've created an Excel sheet some time ago and a handful of macros that I used for solving Ruud's Explosions...

I used to copy the lines under the explosion and then just use some macros in my temporary worksheet which populated 9+1 sudokus on another spreadsheet that I copied to use it for solving the current Clueless or Clueless Explosion.

Maybe it's not the most straight-forward attack but it worked for me...
edit: if someone is interested, leave me a note...

ok, I'll have to get some sleep now.
Last edited by FirstOfNine on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
lynn893
Addict
Addict

Post by lynn893 »

Oscar wrote:Well, first I tried opening 10 times SudoCue and doing manually the syncronization. After two hours I got stuck :x but then:
JLynn wrote:One possibility is to load up Ruud's latest Explosion, clear out the givens (type 0 on the squares), and type in the given's for Børge's new puzzle.
That took 30 minutes to do and 60 to solve :D , now I have an empty CluelessHelper configured for Clueless Explosions
Sarah wrote:load to an Excel template.
and so I am now trying to build such a template for the future...

It is good to have the possibility to enjoy again Clueless Explosions. Thank you very much Børge =D>
How come clearing out the givens never works for me? I clear it and save as: blank grid. Then I type in the puzzle i want to work on. Again I save as; the name of whatever puzzle it is. If I close it, when I open it up again, it has the original puzzle there, with any added digits I've put in...

what am I doing wrong? and how come this won't work for me? :oops:
Nouggie
Regular
Regular

Clueless Explosion Borge #1

Post by Nouggie »

Well Done, Borge!!

For Lynn and others, I have a Borge's Explosion in .clu format so that it can be loaded into Clueless Helper. I'll post it here if anyone knows how to attach a file to these messages. Alternatively, if you send me a private message with an email address, I will email the file to you.

Best to all,
Nouggie
sublue
Regular
Regular

Post by sublue »

Borge,
Very nice puzzle. Thank you; it helped alleviate my withdrawal symptoms.
Susan
Susan
Oscar
Regular
Regular

Post by Oscar »

Lynn,
lynn893 wrote:How come clearing out the givens never works for me?... .... If I close it, when I open it up again, it has the original puzzle there, with any added digits I've put in
When I close it, I close the CluelessHelper program. Then running again the CluelessHelper gets me in a "new game" situation into which I can >Game >Open the saved grid with the clearing done previously.
Hope this helps you.
Nothing can both be and not be
Børge
Master
Master

Re: Clueless Explosion Borge #1

Post by Børge »

Nouggie wrote:For Lynn and others, I have a Borge's Explosion in .clu format so that it can be loaded into Clueless Helper. I'll post it here if anyone knows how to attach a file to these messages.
Nouggie, why don’t you just grab yourself a 100% free of charge hotmail account? Along with it comes a SkyDrive with 5GB of space. On it you can create Private, Group and Public folders.
Create a Public folder, upload whatever you want to share with us and post it here as a LINK using or a PICTURE using Image. That's what I’m doing.

Some good news: I created a second Clueless Explosion in a mere 15 minutes. The problem was that it was to easy (mostly naked and hidden singles). It took me 2,5 hours to turn it unto a really difficult puzzle. How difficult it is I do not yet know. Could be a Clueless Explosion Nightmare. According to Richard Broughton’s SudokuSolver it is solvable and has one solution only. I’ll post it here later today as SCE #1.

Later I will create a 3rd Clueless Explosion to be posted here next Thursday (2008-03-20) at 19:00 GMT. 12:00 GMT is not a good time for me.

Cheers
Børge
lynn893
Addict
Addict

Post by lynn893 »

the only way I can save a 'blank' grid, is by opening a notepad file containing the correct amount of zeros. Then I do a 'save as' blank.

I'm not sure why, but if I open Ruud's puzzle, then delete all givens, it doesn't matter if I resave it or nothing! all givens return each time I reopen the puzzle. :roll:
Oscar
Regular
Regular

Post by Oscar »

lynn893 wrote:... if I open Ruud's puzzle, then delete all givens, it doesn't matter if I resave it or nothing! all givens return each time I reopen the puzzle. :roll:
After saving, EXIT the program. Then run the program and use the OPEN comand on the file you saved.
I do not know why,.. but it works! :)
Nothing can both be and not be
Børge
Master
Master

Post by Børge »

lynn893 wrote:I'm not sure why, but if I open Ruud's puzzle, then delete all givens, it doesn't matter if I resave it or nothing! all givens return each time I reopen the puzzle. :roll:
As Oscar wrote:
After having deleted the givens and saved to a file with "Game > Save As...", it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that you IMMEDIATELY EXIT the Clueless Helper. If you now start the Clueless Helper again and open the previously saved file using "Game > Open...", you should have an empty grid.

lynn893 wrote:the only way I can save a 'blank' grid, is by opening a notepad file containing the correct amount of zeros. Then I do a 'save as' blank.
I am unable to do this!!
How did you do this?
Using Notepad did you save as .TXT or .CLU?
How many lines with how many zeros on each line did you have in your file?
Hilsener i fra vikingen :viking: Børge