SudoCue 1.5.1.4: Two comments on user interface.

If you have an opinion about SudoCue, post it here
unkx80
Hooked
Hooked

SudoCue 1.5.1.4: Two comments on user interface.

Post by unkx80 »

Hi Ruud,

Many thanks for your SudoCue program. I have used Angus Johnson's solver before coming to SudoCue, and I personally find that the difference between his solver and yours is that: your solver packs a lot more punch than his solver, but his solver is so much easier to use than yours.

Two specific comments on the user interface of your solver, version 1.5.1.4:

1. I note your new feature that allows selection of multiple squares. I am very used to holding down the Ctrl button while selecting the squares, and then right click on one of the selected squares with the Ctrl button still down. I do this very often in Windows Explorer to perform certain operations, such as archiving a selection of files. But instead of bringing up the popup menu, the whole grid gets hatched instead. I get thrown off by this almost every time.

2. When markers are not turned on, right clicking on a square and select Disable > Digit X has no effect at all. Could this be a bug?

Of course, these are just my very personal opinions, and I understand that designing a good user interface that satisfies all is a very tricky business. Still figuring out how to fully make use of your very powerful program. :P
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Hi,

Writing a program is always a balance between ease-of-use and richness in functionality. The more you pack into the program, the more complex it becomes. I've always tried to keep my program positioned somewhere between Simple Sudoku and Sudoku Susser. The latter is also very powerful, but has a very technical appearance.

About your comments:

1. I had some doubts about this myself. If the choice to use control+right click for quick hatching is confusing, I'll have to use a different hotkey for it. I will change it in the next release.

2. The way it works now is not correct. The menu option generates a click on one of the LEDs below the grid, which isn't handled when Markup is disabled. Another item to fix in the next version.

Thanks for your useful comments,

Ruud