Locked Candidates (type 2) question

Comments about our solving guide and glossary are welcome
Gilbert
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Locked Candidates (type 2) question

Post by Gilbert »

Dear Sudocue fans,

Under "Sudoku Solving Guide", there is an example for "Locked Candidates (type 2)". Could someone please explain why box 5 can't have 7 in Column 4 or Column 6 (highlighted in red). With all the given digits shown, I somehow failed to understand this topic.

Thank you in advance

Gilbert
Gilbert
David Bryant
Gold Member
Gold Member

"Locked candidates (type 2)"

Post by David Bryant »

Hi, Gilbert! I'll try to explain it for you.

In the example column 5 has four cells filled in, and five empty cells (r2c5, r4c5, r5c5, r6c5, and r8c5). There's a "7" at r2c3, and another "7" at r8c9.

-- Clearly the "7" in column 5 cannot appear at r2c5, because of the "7" at r2c3.

-- Similarly, the "7" in column 5 cannot appear at r8c5, because of the "7" at r8c9.

-- Therefore the "7" in column 5 must appear at r4c5, r5c5, or r6c5. In other words, the "7" in column 5 has to lie in box 5.

-- But saying that the "7" in column 5 lies in box 5 means the same thing as saying that the "7" in box 5 lies in column 5. And since the "7" in box 5 has to be in column 5, it can't possibly be in column 4 or in column 6.

I hope that clears it up for you. dcb
Gilbert
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by Gilbert »

Hey David, I finally got it, many thanks! I think I am getting hooked with Soducue now.
Gilbert