Where's Ruud?

Comments about the remaining aspects of the <A href="/">SudoCue.Net</A> website
mhparker
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Post by mhparker »

Børge wrote:Based on these comments I have since been keeping an eye on the Number of Registered Users posted at the bottom of the main forum page. For a while it has been 262 registered users. Today it is 263. So new users seem to be able to join the forum:
Maybe. But don't forget that joining the forums here is a 2-step process (or at least it was for me). After originally registering, I got this e-mail:
Welcome to SudoCue Users Forums

Please keep this email for your records. Your account information is as follows:

----------------------------
Username: mhparker
Password: dummy1
----------------------------

Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will need to activate it before you can log in. You will receive another email when this has occured.

Please do not forget your password as it has been encrypted in our database and we cannot retrieve it for you. However, should you forget your password you can request a new one which will be activated in the same way as this account.

Thank you for registering.

--
Thanks, Ruud
Within 1 hour, I received the second e-mail, notifying me that the account had been activated:
Hello mhparker,

Your account on "SudoCue Users" has now been activated, you may login using the username and password you received in a previous email.

--
Thanks, Ruud
I assume from these messages that the first step is fully automated, whereas the second step requires some manual intervention by the board administrator. I also assume that the user count is incremented directly after the first step, because in the past we've had one or two spam users registering (see here), and the user count has actually gone down after Ruud cleaned them up. So I fear that, although the user count is increasing here, none of the new members are able to make any posts because their accounts are not being activated.

Can anyone with BB admin experience confirm or deny the above assumptions? If so, thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Mike
sudokuEd
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Post by sudokuEd »

Borge wrote:For a while it has been 262 registered users. Today it is 263
Registered 263 user was my other ego trying to become registered. "testEd" has been added to the Private Mail list which you can see using * in the "New (PM) POST" -> "Find a user name".

I got the first email quickly, but cannot log in the other name. That first email has told me that I will get another email when the account is activated. I have not received that second email.

My plan was to send Ruud an email (after today Sunday GMT) asking him to give someone here the power to admit new members (& moderator powers if they are different). [edit: sent the email] If I don't hear by the end of this week, then time for more talk about this on this thread.

I have an idea for a new home if we decide to go that way. So far, looking good. Don't want to give any more details yet.

Cheers
Ed
mhparker
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Post by mhparker »

sudokuEd wrote:I got the first email quickly, but cannot log in the other name. That first email has told me that I will get another email when the account is activated. I have not received that second email.
As expected. Every time I've seen a post from a "New kid on the Grid" in the last few weeks, I've been taking a look at their profile to see when they joined the forum. I have unfortunately yet to see any posts from anyone who joined after Ruud quit the scene.
sudokuEd wrote:My plan was to send Ruud an email (after today Sunday GMT) asking him to give someone here the power to admit new members (& moderator powers if they are different). [edit: sent the email] If I don't hear by the end of this week, then time for more talk about this on this thread.
Good idea, but has anybody reading this been able to get any answer at all from any email addressed to Ruud in recent weeks? If so, please tell us about it here. Maybe it's time to give him another call. I no longer expect him to come back in big style, but maybe he'll be willing to talk about handing over administrative responsibilities.
sudokuEd wrote:I have an idea for a new home if we decide to go that way. So far, looking good. Don't want to give any more details yet.
Sounds promising! Look forward to discussing that with the other forum members here.

This day in history...

I noticed today that it is exactly 3 months ago today when Ruud made his last post to a sudocue.net forum. :(
Cheers,
Mike
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

Hello Folks
A while ago I wrote here that I called Ruud's home and spoke to his daugter. I promissed myself to leave him alone and give him some time. The last weeks I received different mails of you all with reqouest for another phonecall. Now it's 3 months ago Ruud left his last message so I phoned again just a few minutes ago. It is 9.13 o'clock in the evening here.
I spoke to his wife, a realy nice lady and explained her the situation.Ruud was not at home, was working overtime. She told me he is alright and would tell him te leave a message here somewhere on the forum.
So again waiting for Ruud.
(sorry i didn't react more early but i am very busy with my mommie who is very sick and soon will die.)
But all messages will be read by me. Thanx!!
Marlie
nj3h
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nj3h »

Marlie,

Thank you for the information about Ruud.

I am sorry to hear about your mother. I know it is a very hard thing to deal with. Please be strong. My prayers are with you and your family.

George
Børge
Master
Master

Post by Børge »

Marlie,

Thanks a lot for calling Ruud again and for taking the time to inform everybody here, in spite the condition of your mother. Sorry to hear that she is not well.

Børge
sublue
Regular
Regular

Post by sublue »

Marlie,
I also want to thank you for being willing to speak to Ruud for all of us. I, too, will pray for you mother, as well as for Ruud.
Susan
Susan
azpaull
Regular
Regular

Post by azpaull »

Marlie, I'd like to add my thanks to you for making another effort, and I, too, am sorry to hear about your mother. --Paul
udosuk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by udosuk »

Dear Marlie,

Not a regular here but bless you for helping us contacting Ruud. Best of wishes for your mother.

Faithfully,
udosuk
Sarah
Regular
Regular

Post by Sarah »

Marlie-

I will also keep you, your mother and family in my thoughts & prayers.

My father died at the New Year, so I strongly empathize.

Thanks also for taking the time to contact Ruud's house again.

Sarah

Others - thanks for updates on thoughts & decisions
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pete »

Marlie,

I know we are all concerened about Ruud.

Thank you for taking care of us while you have the terrible burden.

There is surlely no need to apoligise for putting your mother before Ruud.

Perhaps now I have more concern for you and your mother.

Yours,
Peter
"It gets dark at night" - Olbers
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

Marlie wrote:Now it's 3 months ago Ruud left his last message so I phoned again just a few minutes ago.
Marlie, thanks for doing this!
(sorry i didn't react more early but i am very busy with my mommie who is very sick and soon will die.)
{{{{{Marlie}}}}} I know both your parents have been in ill health for a while now, and it's been a hard row to hoe for you. Praying here for your family!
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

Thanx to all of you but....
My mother died yesterday morning at 6.15 in the morning in the age of 83 years.
She had a good life and fighted till the last hour.
I was with her in the hospice on the moment she died.
Of course i am sad but glad that my mam has her deserved peace now.
Marlie
cowgirl
Addict
Addict

Post by cowgirl »

Marlie,

you now what i mean

bigg kiss and hug
Groetjes van cowgirl Gemma
azpaull
Regular
Regular

Post by azpaull »

May her memories be a comfort to you and your family, Marlie.