Help with SumoCue hint..

When you have problems solving a Sudoku, ask fellow members to help you
aclayton
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Help with SumoCue hint..

Post by aclayton »

Hi all, I've been using SumoCue to help solve killers, and I like it a lot. (Thanks Ruud!) Especially for difficult puzzles, it can take away the frustration and tedium of looking for the "break" which lets the rest of the puzzle fall, and it lets me appreciate the construction of the puzzle more. However, I am stuck on the last "Deadly" killer in one of the Times supplements, and I'm having trouble understanding a hint that SumoCue is trying to give:

I'm not seeing the "innie-outie difference in Box 7" - summing box 7 gives ((24-9-8)+12+26) = 45, so this doesn't eliminate anything in r7c3 and r9c4 (the innie/outie of Box 7), since those two squares must be equivalent, and they can be any value. But when I allow it to solve this step, it eliminates the 9 from r7c3, the red boxed cell, and I can't see why. I've stared at this forever and just can't see any other combination of rows/columns that give innie/outie information for that cell.

After all this, it's probably something obvious that I haven't been able to step back and see, but can someone tell me why the 9 can be eliminated from r7c3?

(BTW this is with the SumoCue version preceding the one released yesterday, x.x.2)

Thanks!
Andy
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Hi Andy,

the hint is not correct. I found a bug in the program that did not correctly calculate the sum of all placed digits for the innie-outie difference. A new version will be up soon.

The bad news is: After a (correct) innie-outie difference in rows 6789, the program is also stuck :(

I never encountered a Times killer that evaded SumoCue before. I will do some more research to find new techniques to implement.

Thanks for the report.

Ruud
aclayton
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by aclayton »

Whew! So the good news is, I'm not crazy. :) Bad news, I'm still stuck on the puzzle, but that's preferable I guess..

Thanks again for your work on SumoCue and for offering it to everyone, it's especially useful in solving some of those massive samurai/clueless killers from djape.

Andy
PsyMar
Hooked
Hooked

Post by PsyMar »

Haven't seen any rule about bumping old threads, so...
I haven't gotten nearly as far as you guys, but I have found one move you've both missed. Outies of C9 = R1C7+R149C8 = 29. R49C8 is max 17, and R1C78 is max 12, and 12+17 = 29 so R1C78 = {57} and R49C8 = {89} and R1C9 = 3.

After that there's an x-wing, and a tricky hidden pair, a couple of quads-based elimination, a couple of mandatory inclusions...
and it's solved, with a bit of help from a program (I'm too tired to work on one like this with my brain alone.)

The program I'm using solved this a different way, finding R49C8={89} as a hidden pair.[/code]