Sudocue hints

When you have problems solving a Sudoku, ask fellow members to help you
jontaw
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Sudocue hints

Post by jontaw »

I have been using the Sudocue hints to help solve a Daily Nightmare puzzle. I have learned the techniques required to understand each hint. My last hint is "Digit 1 by Brute Force Solver". What does that mean.

Thanks for help.
Jon[/quote]
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Hi Jon,

a warm welcome to you!

You should check the solver settings with the menu option Tools/Options.... On the Solver tab, you see all the selected solving techniques. Some of these are not enabled by default, so you have to enable them yourself. Also check that subset and seafood sizes are set to the highest value.

When you have saved these options, you need to reload the Daily Nightmare. Brute Force is no longer required.

When the solver cannot use any "human-style" tricks, it will try to complete the puzzle by testing each possible value. The first cell solved will be shown to the user. This is the same as guessing. You do not need it for the Daily Nightmare when your solver settings are correct.

cheers,
Ruud
jontaw
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by jontaw »

Rudd,

Thanks for your reply. I had assumed it was something like guessing, which, of course, is an unacceptable way to solve the puzzle. I will follow your instructions and see where it gets me. I bought an expert book of Sudoku's but they only take a few minutes to solve using the computer to do markup. This was my first attempt at a Daily Nightmare. I am still learning how to recognize the different difficult solving techniques. Thanks again.

Jon