Crossword Function in Sumocue

When you have problems solving a Sudoku, ask fellow members to help you
Princess Amy
Hooked
Hooked

Crossword Function in Sumocue

Post by Princess Amy »

Hi,

I'm very interested in the crosswords, but I can't figure them out.

1. When you look in the variety puzzle section and see the "reactions" puzzle (ha ha, that wasn't the word you planned, was it?) it says to open Sumocue and open this "File" (there's a link). Nothing happens? And I tried pasting it in and nothing happened.

2. Where did I find the puzzle with the "traditional Christmas dessert?"

3. How would I go about creating my own? I know you have to assign numbers to the letters. Do you just leave some cells un-caged?

4. Any other info that would help me figure this out would be appreciated.

And then in a related but un-related question...

I am obsessed with finding 9-letter isograms (words in which no letter is repeated). I've got a list of about 100. However, I also found on the internet a list of almost 25,000 9-letter words. I want to create both Crossword Killers and Wordokus.

The list of words is delimited by a space between each word, no hard returns.

How hard would it be to write a program that runs all the words through and throws out the words with duplicated letters? The first time I went to college, I wrote programs in Basic on my TRS-80 (did I just give away my age?) Anyway, that seems like the type of exercise we did.

Well if anyone would like to give it a try, or steer me in the right direction for how I'd do it, I'd appreciate.

Portion of list: frostwork frothiest frottages frotteurs froufrous frouncing frouziest frowardly frowsiest frowstier frowsting frowziest fructoses fructuous frugality frugivore fruitages fruitcake fruiterer fruitiest fruitions fruitless fruitlets fruitwood frumpiest frustrate frustules fruticose fuchsines

Source of full list:

http://www.esclub.gr/games/wordox/9.html

Thanks,

Amy Grace
The "Clueless" Princess loves getting Flowers every Monday!
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

The complete list of 2785 words with 9 unique letters is in this text file.

I cannot test the file input problems, because I've already changed the code to read additional file formats, but you can paste the following string into SumoCue:

SumoCueV1
=7=0=0=0=0=8+5=9+7+0=0=13+11+11=0=0=0=0=17=0=8=4+21=6=21=0=7+18
=0+20=16+30+23+24=0+26+18=0=0=0=0=0+24=0=12=0=0=11+47=10+49+49
=0+44=14=0=13=18=0=0=0=0=12+54=0+56+57=0=9+68+62+62=9+72+56+57=0=12+77=14+79

Then use these letters in the "Killer Crossword" options: AEOISTRNC

I have no answer for question 2.

As for making these yourself: Put a few larger words in the grid in such a way that the same letter does not occur twice in any row, column or box. Make sure that the words do cross one or more other words. Convert the letters to numbers and find a valid sudoku grid that completes the digits in the words. Draw killer cages in the areas around the words. Clear the words, so you only have the cages left. Try to solve the puzzle using the cages and the lists of all possible words. SumoCue can do this. If there is a unique solution, you have a valid killer crossword.

4. See above :D

cheers,
Ruud
“If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.” - Emerson M Pugh
Para
Yokozuna
Yokozuna

Re: Crossword Function in Sumocue

Post by Para »

Princess Amy wrote: 1. When you look in the variety puzzle section and see the "reactions" puzzle (ha ha, that wasn't the word you planned, was it?)
Nicely spotted.

There are more words like that in that list that have different configurations that form a word. Actually that makes the puzzle even nicer.

greetings

Para
Para
Yokozuna
Yokozuna

Post by Para »

Hi

When trying to solve this killer crossword, SumoCue gives the word-options for horizontal words, but not for vertical words. Is there something i did wrong or just a problem in sumocue?

greetings

Para
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Press H for horizontal word clues, V for vertical word clues. If you have used X for cage configurations, only the horizontal words show clues. That's a small glitch...

Ruud
“If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.” - Emerson M Pugh
Princess Amy
Hooked
Hooked

Post by Princess Amy »

I found the other Crossword Sumocue puzzle Ruud created, that I was asking about in Question 2, above. It's listed under "Specials."

September 28, 2006. Crossword Killer 2
Dear diary. I have created a second Crossword Killer. No need to explain the rules again to those poor addicts. The 9 letter word should not be too difficult to guess, but if they cannot find it, they’d better not attempt to solve the puzzle. Although the set of letters were tempting me, I resisted using unseemly words in the puzzle.

Para made a couple for me based on my name (Thanks!) but I haven't figured them out completely yet!!!

Amy Grace :princess:
The "Clueless" Princess loves getting Flowers every Monday!