Help installing w/ win98se

Ask your support questions for SudoCue here
larrys
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Help installing w/ win98se

Post by larrys »

I've downloaded the sudocue120.msi file and when I run it it says I need something called NET Framework. When I click to go to that site, I see quite a variety of files.

I'm no super programmer, so I need a little hand holding getting the correct files and installing them. (Might even be something useful to keep for other new users.)

Anyway I am running Windows 98 Se patched to the current changes. Whic Framework file do I need and how do I proceed? (What's NET Framework?)

Thanks,
Larry
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Hi Larry,

this Framework is a utility package that allows us to develop software that can be run on multiple platforms and do not require a heavy setup. The framework is a standard part of Windows XP, but for Windows 98, you need to install it yourself. SudoCue works with versions 1.1 and 2.0, but I advice you to install the latest version 2.0.

you can download the .Net Framework here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

cheers, Ruud
larrys
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by larrys »

Thanks for the quick reply Ruud.

It looks like I also need to get v 2.0 of the Microsoft installer, for my Win98se computer. I'm downloading it and the NET Framework file you pointed me at now.

Hopefully I can figure it out from here on my own. I'll let you know if I need further help.

Larry
larrys
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by larrys »

Thanks for the quick reply Ruud.

It looks like I also need to get v 2.0 of the Microsoft installer, for my Win98se computer. I'm downloading it and the NET Framework file you pointed me at now.

Hopefully I can figure it out from here on my own. I'll let you know if I need further help.

Larry
r.e.s.
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by r.e.s. »

Hi Ruud,

I have Sun's Java Runtime Environment installed on my XP, and am wondering -- will this cause any problems for .NET, as far as you know? (Sorry if this is a nonsensical question, but I don't have a clue about how these items might be related.)

BTW, congratulations on this beautiful forum! It adds to the suggestion of good things in store if/when I install your program.
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

r.e.s. wrote:I have Sun's Java Runtime Environment installed on my XP, and am wondering -- will this cause any problems for .NET, as far as you know?
I have 3 versions of .Net framework on my PC and the Java Runtime. Both work fine together.
BTW, congratulations on this beautiful forum! It adds to the suggestion of good things in store if/when I install your program.
To my surprise, I receive a lot of positive feedback on the forum customizations I did. Well, there are enough grey forums in this world. :D

I also like this little gimmick:

r.e.s.
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by r.e.s. »

Heh ... Except the gimmick is inactive for me. (I assume it's supposed to be for a quick PM to you?) Thanks for the info -- I'll probably give .NET a go. Your program has me intrigued.
r.e.s.
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by r.e.s. »

Ruud ...

The link you give above is to "Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)", which is where the installer also directs me -- but that is apparently incompatible with your program, since (after this v2.0 is installed) the installer still says it requires .NET 1.1.4322, and fails to install the program.

It's your SumoCue (not SudoCue) program that I'm trying to get installed. Do the two require different .NET versions?
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

r.e.s.

I forgot to tell the program that version 2.0 of the Framework is OK to run with.
Changed it and uploaded the correct installer package.

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Ruud
r.e.s.
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by r.e.s. »

Ruud,

Thanks for the speedy response! I've installed SumoCue easily now, and have already created a couple of irregular toroidals with it. I'm impressed -- a very nice program.