Starter Puzzle

This forum is dedicated to the <a href="http://www.sudocue.net/clueless.php">Clueless Specials</a> published each Monday on the website.
nj3h
Gold Member
Gold Member

Starter Puzzle

Post by nj3h »

I am puzzled by the starter puzzle. In the text, the pencil marks for the top row of blue boxes is provided. I do not get the same results as indicated. Hopefully someone can explain to me what I am missing.

First blue box - No problem

Second blue box - I will list pencil marks that I feel need to be there, but aren't in the example.

ok 1 7
ok ok ok
8 34 7
Comment: I don't see how r3c2 is an 8

Third blue box - I will list pencil marks that I feel need to be there, but aren't in the example.

ok ok ok
ok 2 ok
8 8 8
Comment: I presume the 8 in r3 are eliminated because of the 8 in box 2. But if that is the case, why wasn't the 8 removed from box 1, r3c2?

Anyway, hopefully someone can head me in the right direction.

Another topic: Will there be a software program released where the user can set the solving techniques (like up through x-wing) for the creation of Clueless puzzles? In other words, like can be done in the SudoCue program.

I notice that the Clueless puzzles also include the puzzle string. How are people using the puzzle strings?

Thanks to those who help me get started.

Regards,
George
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Thanks for your remarks, George.

I have been working with these puzzles for so long, that I tend to make shortcuts, even when I'm supposed to be as clear as possible like in this starter guide. Luckily there are people like you who are pointing this out to me.

I now added a piece of text and an image explaining how the pencilmarks for the second of these puzzles were worked out, including the placement of the 8. This clarifies the differences between your pencilmarks and the ones that I show on the site.

Unfortunately, I will not release my Clueless generator program. I also sell these puzzles to publishers.

You can copy and paste each of the 9 strings in SudoCue, Simple Sudoku or Sudoku Susser. This allows you to work on one of the 9 puzzles in your program. I also added this explanation on the site.

Thanks again, and don't hesitate to ask again when I'm still not clear enough.

Ruud
nj3h
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nj3h »

Ruud,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll take a look at the update shortly.

I understand about not releasing your Clueless generator. I have to admit that when I create puzzles with your program or with Sadman's program, I don't create them above the x-wing level, so that is why I was asking about the Clueless program, so I could do clueless puzzles and not have them require the higher level techniques.

Perhaps someday, when and if the Sudoku craze dies down, maybe you can offer something for sale that can generate the Clueless puzzles with specific solving techniques as a user selectable option.

Regards,
George